Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Looking for a dish for a party or a crowd-pleasing appetizer? These stuffed mushrooms are packed with crunchy almonds and tangy blue cheese for an irresistible bite.
194 calories, 8 g. fat, 221 mg. cholesterol, 446 mg. sodium, 5 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 24 g. protein
Ingredients for 6-8 servings:
- 1 pound white or brown mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash the mushrooms, carefully snap out the stems and set them on a cutting board. Place the mushroom caps on a clean kitchen towel, gill side down, to drain. Mince the mushroom stems. Pour the olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add the minced mushroom stems and onion, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the pan is nearly dry, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Spread almonds on a sheet pan and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes. Let cool, then chop coarsely. In a food processor, grind the bread to crumbs.
In a large bowl, combine the sautéed mushroom stems, chopped almonds, bread crumbs, blue cheese and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Lightly oil a large sheet pan or a casserole that you can use for serving. Use your fingers to stuff each mushroom cap with a rounded mound of filling. Place on the prepared pan.
Bake the mushrooms for 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and they are heated through. Serve warm.
- For convenience, stuff the mushrooms a day or two ahead, wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator until it’s party time!
- Pair with your favorite wine & cheese for a truly decadent appetizer.